Have you got what it takes to be our next Pushcarts Coordinator? We’re looking for someone to take charge of this exciting category where students are challenged to assemble their cart in 20 minutes or less, complete a presentation and tackle our sprint, endurance and obstacle courses.
About the Pushcarts Category
The Pushcarts category has been part of the Energy Breakthrough since its inception in 1991. This category is open to Primary School students only.
The Pushcart event is a challenging but enjoyable way of introducing energy use and technology to young students.
The machines are based on the humble billycart, and are pushed energetically through an obstacle course, sprint and circuit events at Maryborough in November.
The teams of ten students may obtain the assistance of other students, parents, friends, local trades people, community groups to build their pushcart.
There are 2 Classes:
Section 1 (A1): Teams from primary schools with an enrolment of 200 students or less.
Section 2 (A2): Teams from primary schools with enrolment more than 200 students.
Pushcart teams participate in the following elements during the EB Event:
- Display & Presentation
- Design & Construction
- Obstacle Rally
- Endurance Trial
More detail on each element is available in the Schools Handbook.
The key tasks are:
- Provide advice on Pushcarts specifications to the Event Director.
- Respond to enquiries from schools as required.
- Promote the Pushcart category to schools who aren’t currently participating
- Assist with the preparation of the Pushcart Information Kit.
- Assist with recruitment of judges and marshals for Pushcarts.
- To assist with all aspects of planning and implementing the Pushcart during the event.
- Meet with and brief judges as required.
- Lead and support the Pushcart volunteer team during the event.
- Ensure the on-track events are conducted safely and on-time.
- Ensure the judging components are conducted efficiently, effectively and fairly.
- Liaise with Team Managers and school teams during the event.
- Collect all results and ensure results are processed and awards are determined in accordance with EB rules and guidelines.
- Respond to any queries relating to the results via the Event Director.
- Provide post-event report and feedback to Event Director.
Role Requirements / Qualifications
- An understanding of, and agrees with the friendly, encouraging and supportive approach of the Energy Breakthrough team.
- A thorough understanding of Pushcart specifications and event guidelines.
- An understanding of what primary school students are capable of undertaking within the various element of the Pushcart event.
- Strong planning and organisational skills.
- Good communication skills.
- Valid Working with Children Check card.
- Current Victorian driver’s licence.
Support / Assistance Provided
• A small stipend of up to $1,500 will be provided to cover costs for phone calls, internet for emails, time to attend meetings and travel.
• Catering will be available on-site at no cost during the event.
• Accommodation including breakfast will be provided during the event, if required.
• Additional support and training can be negotiated upon request.
How To Apply
Please contact Nigel Preston or Alisha Chadwick on phone (03) 5461 0610 or email email@example.com to discuss this position prior to applying.
Email your C.V and a short cover letter expressing a/ why you’d be a great fit for this role, b/ any experience you have performing the key tasks in previous roles and c/ how you meet the role requirements / qualifications to firstname.lastname@example.org prior to Friday 28 June 2019.